Source: STAR News
Big Hit has released statement to address BTS Suga‘s sampling of cult leader Jim Jones speech.
In an interview with STAR News on the 31st, Big Hit official stated, “After confirming the issue, we immediately deleted it and re-released it. I apologize to those who were hurt or felt uncomfortable. It wasn’t Suga’s intention to use Jim Jones’ speech. The vocal speech sample in the intro was selected by the producer who worked on the track without any particular intent. It was in consideration of the atmosphere of the entire song.”
He explained, “There was an error in the company’s internal selection and inspection process that led to release without realizing it was an inappropriate content sample. Big Hit checks for contents that can be problematic in society, culture, and history through its own process of inspecting various content from around the world but we’re experiencing limitations in understanding all situations and responding accordingly.”
He added, “I’m embarrassed and deeply responsible for the problems that the artist himself didn’t think about. I’ll learn from this case and take a closer look at the entire production process.”
Suga is under controversy for sampling controversial speech by cult leader and mass murderer Jim Jones‘ for this track ‘What Do You Think‘ from his mixtape D-2. Jim Jones, who founded the pseudo-religion of the people’s temple in the United States in 1950, is also a criminal who committed the “Johnstown Massacre” by forcing 900 believers (304 of them children) to commit suicide by poison.
- [+2,521, -267] It’s finally up. This is actually a big deal right now. Frankly, it was rash of him to include it. Please don’t hide behind the company like a certain someone. Acknowledge and apologize.
- [+1,976, -246] As you can see from Nate’s Pann, if you criticize BTS, you’ll be muzzledㅋㅋㅋ
- [+1,830, -210] Aigoo-ya..this is a bit much. He went too far this time.
- [+384, -20] Why are Koreans shielding him when black people are saying it made them uncomfortable
- [+344, -96] Not just this, he also said “he finished the mixtape thanks to the Corona..” and “luck brought to me by the Corona..”
- [+279, -14] I’ve seen a documentary on this and it’s actually quite horrifying. If Suga clarifies this I hope it’s an explanation everyone can understand.
- [+249, -34] 풉 pfft..and he went around acting like he’s such an artist..he’s just another tryhard after all
- [+243, -15] Just as Korea is sensitive to Korea-Japan relations, there are groups, regions, or countries that are sensitive to this. If they keep making this much noise with controversies it won’t be long until BTS becomes a has-been.
- [+1,828, -499] So all that hype that he was a “genius” was just media play because professional songwriters are the ones who actually do the album production
- [+1,478, -249] Yeah..it’s best he apologizes quickly
- [+1,171, -421] It’s better that he just admitted it quickly and apologized. I’m sure he was just as upset knowing they used it without his knowledge
- [+304, -39] BTS have never apologized personally for something themselves..they always hide behind Big Hitㅋㅋ. They cause trouble and hide behind their mothers skirt like a choding ㅋ
- [+295, -32] Even college students don’t make ppts [powerpoints] this bad… …no source, no voice actor check, just write it in because it syncs with the simple mood of a song. Is this the level of a world class idol?
- [+281, -31] He said it himself when he introduced the album right? Didn’t he say he felt proud because he worked so hard on it. Why is Big Hit apologizing and not him? If you truly see yourself as an artist and didn’t know then apologize personally yourself too. If you blame others that produced it, doesn’t that make everything you’ve said in the past hypocritical?
- [+246, -24] Is he seriously saying he didn’t know the source of a voice sample included in his own mixtape? Stop with the nonsense ㅋㅋㅋ
- [+239, -22] I get it being a mistake but its a speech that went into your song. I don’t understand why you would put it in without checking the content source.;;
- [+172, -19] Does BTS ever apologize on their own? Once again Big Hit is apologizing on their behalf..
- [+159, -27] They’re starting to lose it too…BTS must be hitting their expiration date.