Yang Hyun Suk has been charged with 15 million won fine for habitual gambling.
On the 27th, the former YG Entertainment CEO attended his first trial at the Seoul Western District Law for gambling over 400 million won in casinos in the U.S from 2015-2019.
The judge overturned his summary judgement ruling sought by the prosecution and determined that Yang Hyun Suk was a “habitual gambler” and thus a danger to society. The judge stated, “his gambling can have a negative impact on the general public and youth.”
As a result, the judiciary overturned his prior summary judgement to a formal trial stating that the summary judgement alone was inappropriate. The court also asked for a review of the complaint stating “that there was a lot of evidence and that it was necessary to check whether it was routine.” The prosecution did not correct the complaint and sought a fine of 10 million won.
During trial, the court fined Yang Hyun Suk 15 million won (~$14,000) fine instead, a higher sentence that 10 million won (~$9,000) fine sought by the prosecution.
- [+339, -23] Why just a fine? Is there a Blue House line they’ll cross if they hit him with a jail sentence??!
- [+299, -2] He’s someone that gambled over 400 million won.. a 15 million won fine is not money to himㅋㅋ
- [+181, -6] We need serious reform of our prosecution..
- [+107, -1] This is just the cost of one shot of liquor for both sides..
- [+83, -3] Whether 10 million won or 15 million…how is any of it a fine?
- [+11, -0] The prosecution didn’t even listen to the court..?
- [+5, -0] If his overseas expedition was an impulsive one-time thing and he gambled 400 million won, how would a fine of 15 million won mean anything to Yang Hyun Suk??
- [+4, -1] That’s the price of gum for someone like himㅋㅋ